Wednesday 21 March 2018

Radio Songs #29: You're The Radio




Where were we?

The Traffic Girl. She had a boyfriend. And then she didn't...

"They've split up," her friend told me.

"She really likes you," her friend told me.

"You should ask her out," her friend told me.

Well, that rather put me on the spot, didn't it? I mean, that was exactly what I wanted to do... but it was also the last thing I wanted to do. Because asking someone out is pretty fucking terrifying. Especially when you're 18 and you've never done it before, but it seems like everyone else has been doing it for years.

But somehow, after a sleepless night or two, I plucked up the courage. I remember waiting out in that pale, artificially lit, underground corridor (sounds pretty creepy, huh?) for her to make the short walk down from Traffic to Studio A. I remember the butterflies... no, the bats... no, the pterodactyls that were circling and swirling in my stomach. I don't remember the words I used... but I do remember that she said yes.

YES.

YES!!!

And that was it. Probably the greatest moment of my life (up to that point). Or it certainly felt that way. Bloody teenage hormones.

Keen students of human nature will probably have guessed the ending to this story already, but there are two more chapters. First, the date.

My FIRST date.

Then...

29. Thea Gilmore - You're The Radio

You can always rely on Thea to put lyrics to the confusion of emotional entanglements. This was the lead single from her 2010 album Murphy's Heart.

I was hope gone to the dogs
Seven hundred ways to sing the blues
Cue the princes and the frogs
Cue those Capulets and Montagues...
 
I'm the joker in the pack
I've been waiting for the perfect time
You're the ace and you're the jack
You're the reason baby, I'm the rhyme...
 
I'm the song, you're the radio!




5 comments:

  1. Another scintillating episode but you really know how to spin out a yarn - No bad thing though and excuse for a fine song and video clip.

    Looking back, I do feel so sorry for the boys of my youth who must have suffered just as you did when trying to pluck up the courage to ask a girl out - We on the other hand got off lightly and the rejection of those bold enough to ask, was sometimes brutal. We did however have to watch the object of our affection sometimes pursue someone else (the wrong girl!) knowing we would never be able to do anything about it. Changed days with online dating etc. but that creates new issues, although not as stomach churningly awful perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least the boys you were brutal to were actually boys, not 50 year old blokes pretending to be boys over the internet. Brr.

      Delete
  2. This whole period of your story is dredging up long suppressed first date memories for me. Not good ones either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Swede. I'll try not to drag it out much longer!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love these posts, Rol. More, please.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...