Wednesday 7 March 2018

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #19: A bike, a mouse and a clan of gingerbread men...


19. Pink Floyd - Bike

Guy Garvey played this a couple of weeks back and I couldn't believe I'd never heard it before.

I now feel like I've known it forever. Perhaps because I've listened to little else for the last few days...

Why have I chosen it as Mid-Life Crisis Song?

Two reasons.

Firstly, because I always said the day I found myself getting into Pink Floyd, I'd know I was finally over the hill. In my defence, this is Syd Barrett era Floyd, and it might as well be a Syd Barrett solo song... you get the feeling the rest of Floyd bunged it on the end of their debut album back in 1969 just to keep him happy. I have always considered Barrett the only really interesting member of the band. Though who knows, give me a couple more years and I might be embracing the flying pigs too.

The other reason though is that this is clearly a song about youth. About innocence. About first love, before you really understand what love is. Before all the yucky stuff gets in the way. Those days are a distant memory now, of course, it's hard to believe they ever existed. But this song brings it back...

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I've got a cloak it's a bit of a joke.
There's a tear up the front. It's red and black.
I've had it for months.
If you think it could look good, then I guess it should.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I don't know why I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men.
Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.



The mouse called Gerald is a stroke of genius.

8 comments:

  1. In the mid-80s, when I couldn't get enough of '60s psych, I played Piper At The Gates Of Dawn endlessly and loved the way it closed with this song. And the Syd-era line-up always seemed different enough for the notion of liking (or owning) some Pink Floyd not to make you feel over the hill - far from it!
    By the way I really love that picture. Have been trying to identify some of the other records in the shop window - how sad is that (I think there's some Beach Boys and Cleo Laine...) Something about the photo suggests it isn't British - perhaps French or Belgian or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the picture too. No idea where it came from other than a Google search that combined artist & song title.

      Delete
  2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was the 1st and last Floyd album I ever bought. I really loved it and for me, "Bike" sums up Syd Barrett perfectly. It's decidedly odd but the vocal is gorgeous, especially on the chorus - "You’re the kind of girl that fits in with my world
    I’ll give you anything, everything if you want things".

    A song that sums up my experiences in the 1960's - innocence mixed with quirkiness, which put a smile on my face. And, thankfully, sod all to do with "Swinging 60's London"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely puts a smile on my face... And it's been a constant earworm for the past week.

      Delete
  3. The album in the window just below the Pink Floyd LP is Otis Redding - a live album I think, but not a UK release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syd! Love him. Odd bloke and ahead of his time. Enjoying your latest impromptu quiz on album covers in the window too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...