Saturday 23 December 2017

Seasonal Snapshots



And so it comes time to wish you all a Merry Christmas... and what better gift than a special edition of Saturday Snapshots to keep your mind working over the next few days of joy / hell (delete accordingly).

In tribute to the late John Peel, here are fifty festive photos with clues that link to 50 seasonal songs. Title and artist, please.

No rush to answer them all in one go, I'm taking a blogging break now... but I will try and get the answers up before the decorations come down.

Have a great holiday and thanks for reading this tripe all year. Sometimes you guys are the only thing keeping me sane...



50. What this is. By Father Jack (before he became Father Jack).


49. Onomatopoeia, December 2016.


48. A bit of turkey on the side? Shocking!


47. Two terms of endearment about the Ghostbusters big bad.


46. When I was a lad, this time of year actually meant something. Let's go back... shoulders, knees and toes.


45.Marilyn's U.N.C.L.E. dies hard in the cold.


44. One of the Greats... like the Monkees sang.


43. Wet lips in Las Gow.


42. Here comes the Super Trouper: Chaka Khan not pictured.


41. David Copperfield comes back - don't mention the presidents!


40. Pale James celebrates the 25th.


39. What Obi Wan does when wrapping, lego.


38. Ho ho ho, for no man.


37. Useful for taking a 14th Century photo. Make sure you wrap up warm!


36. Skinny 13th: this is what I was, many years ago. (Bit unfair that. You have to guess my mum's name to get this one.)


35. Make sure you leave a good tip: not just gaudy paper.


34. Mrs. Claus never comes late to The Stranger.


33. Have a flavourless Christmas drink that'll knock you off your feet... you'll despise it!


32. Watch out for thin ice, Roberta.


31. Dickens gives a crazy festive sermon on the afterlife.


30. A cat's chorus for the lady who catches a ride with Chris Rea.

 

29. Better than Lois Lane and Lana Lang. Townies need not apply.


28. Penguin or ptarmigan? This one's worth a mint.


27. Spider-Man - Santa's here!!! (No B. Definitely no B.)


26. What a major needs to be able to twirl a baton properly. Will help you keep afloat over the next few days.

25. A short seasonal lord (and his snowy chum) protest plans to overturn the hunting ban. (Snowy chum not pictured.)


24. Scrooged from the ashes: turkey for one.


23. A deep simile.


22. The Whale and his Brother won't save you.


21. Freedom! Don't wake up, or it's dead.

20. Batman takes his mask off in the shower. This is what he asks FathEr ChrisTmas for.


19. Sounds like a job for Fagen... Rejoice!


18. Strangeways, here we come a-wassailing. Putting the R in Christmas tree.


17. Marlon sends Saint Nick to where Elvis's snow flies.


16. A scheming motor dealer shares a brilliant award at Dawn, Day and Night.

 

15. Pussy's boots require stockings, dad!


14. A big southern, malignant Frenchman gives you a Christmas kiss.


13. French footballers moan about only getting one lot of presents.


12. Trivial repetition.


11. Join the main gang to solve the Missing Joy Mystery.


10. A child's scribbled reindeer.


9. Selina and the infant Kringle.


8. The place where Frankie Muniz comes from. Genuine Christmas cheer.


7. The first letter I (what a fellow!) comes round to do the festive dusting, polishing and tidying.


6. Feels Yule. (All in festive rhyme)


5. Sleep, Oscar. I was born in Huddersfield. Still there now. Probably die there.


4. The grim siblings take a bite of a maggoty apple.


3. Christmas arrives late for young people... but the big man will still join the band.


2. Good-looking relatives jingle idiotically.


1. Eponymous dark magic.


And the prize? Peace on earth and good will to all men & women, obviously...

56 comments:

  1. What a lovely early Christmas present Rol - Thanks for this. I will do my best to work out as many as I can without scrolling down to the comments section over the next few days.

    In the meantime, to start us off, a Very Merry Christmas to you and your family. And also to Mary, without whom there wouldn't have been a "boy child" who could give us such fine entertainment via his blog all year round (No. 36 - Boney M).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. The Handsome Family - "Stupid Bells"

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4. The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl - "Fairytale of New York"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 12. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Christmas All Over Again".

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18. John Prine - "Christmas In Prison"

    ReplyDelete
  6. 29.Loretta Lynn - "Country Christmas"

    ReplyDelete
  7. 32. Joni Mitchell - "River" (Not 100% sure of this one)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 34. Billy Joel - "Christmas in Fallujah"(It's the only Billy Joel Christmas song I know)

    36. Boney M - "Mary's Boy Child"

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I shall return!" I am in awe of your Christmas Quiz.
    (I had to post these just now because, in the past, I've waited to group them together and other folk post before me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Epic Rol
    That must have taken a lot of time and effort
    Now going to try and work out some answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 13. Saint Etienne - I Was Born On Christmas Day
    31. Manic Street Preachers - Christmas Ghost

    Those are the ones that sprang out at me but wow yes epic and I'll have to come back to see if there are any leftovers in due course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and 10 is that Badly Drawn Boy but no idea of the song...

      Delete
    2. Hi - looks like I have lost a post somewhere along the line, but if it turns up again, apologies for the duplication.

      Merry Christmas and best wishes for a super 2018 Rol.

      I suck at these cryptic clues, but did manage to figure out a few of the easier ones that others well and truly beat me to.

      This Badly Drawn Boy one will be Donna and Blitzen.

      Determined to try and get one of the ones that others haven't got yet, but we shall see.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. Rol, A late night here in America means I can play. Here are my guesses so far:

    49. Wham - Last Christmas
    47. Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    41. Kate Bush - December Will Be Magic Again
    35. The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping

    Off to bed. Will try again at breakfast. This is a great holiday gift! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Let's make that Marshmallow World from Darlene Love at 47 instead.

      Delete
  13. Who needs sleep?

    24. Phoenix With Bill Murray (that's Paul Shaffer too) - Alone on Christmas Day

    ReplyDelete
  14. 38. Tom Waits - Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

    Team effort. The Mrs. recognized him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Number 5 is killing me. I know that band photo well because I have the Dream Academy's Life in a Northern Town as a 7" and 12" single, but the clue has me confused. Maybe will come to me in my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't spend much longer on it Brian, since you already worked it out. Maybe not an obvious Christmas song, but it always makes me think of Xmas with the Salvation Army band and mention of December 1963...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking me out of my misery. Merry Christmas, Rol.

      Delete
  16. Gosh, lots gone already but think No. 39 is Ben Folds - maybe someone else could come up with the song?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quickie - did anyone get 6 yet - Eels and Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas?

    Have a good Christmas, Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No. 50 is Christmas Countdown perhaps by the actor Frank Kelly who played Father Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No. 48 - Those shorts make me think of AC/DC - Shocking!

    Not sure about the song though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They find a rhyme for Christmas that links to infidelity.

      Delete
  20. No. 44 is Greg Lake with I Believe In Father Christmas

    No. 43 is Glasvegas with A Snowflake Fell (and it Felt Like a Kiss)?

    No. 22 is Jona Lewie with Stop The Cavalry?

    Right, got to get to sleep now or Santa might not come - Have a lovely Christmas Day Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a nice Christmas break Rol

    30: She Came Home For Christmas by Mew

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you had a nice Christmas Day - Back to the job in hand today however of your very tricky festive snapshots.

    Just done a review of the numbers still to be attempted - In case it helps anyone out they are: 1,3,7,8,11,14,15,16,17,19,20,21,23,25,26,27,33,37,40,42,45,46

    ReplyDelete
  23. No. 3 looks very like Bruce Springsteen but could it really be Santa Claus is Coming to Town?

    ReplyDelete
  24. No. 42 - Rufus Wainwright Spotlight on Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  25. No. 8 - I knew it was something to do with Malcolm in the Middle but kept thinking Star City (where he came from) - But no of course it's Malcolm Middleton with We're All Going to Die.

    Right that's my lot - no attempts yet at: 1,7,11,14,15,16,17,19,20,21,23,25,26,27,33,37,40,46 and of course some of those already guessed may be wrong, and still some songs outstanding. Good luck everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work, Alyson. I think some of the regulars are enjoying the festivities too much to puzzle over these - rightly so, in my mind - but I know there's a few on that list which will be easy to certain people. Although we're already reaching the time when I consider Christmas songs should be put away till next year... I realise now I should have posted this earlier!

      Delete
    2. Once TS, CC and Martin drop by, they’ll fill in the blanks - leave the answers for a while yet and I’ll see if I can work out your new clues.

      Delete
    3. Somewhere along the line one of my answers has gone missing - Or maybe it was so wrong it deleted itself! Anyway No. 45 I think is Vaughn Monroe with Let It Snow - Robert Vaughn was the Man from UNCLE and Marilyn was a Monroe - hadn't heard of him before so had to utilise some help from other sources but would like to think I'm not the only one who does that?!

      Delete
    4. At this late stage, googling is perfectly acceptable. Answers tomorrow so this is everybody's last chance!

      Delete
  26. Hope you've had a good Christmas Rol. Had to come back and have another look here in case inspiration struck - but can only (possibly) identify a few faces, not the songs.
    40 looks like Lloyd Cole...tho' I'm not entirely sure
    23 is Low, I only know because I've seen them a good few times on several blogs round these parts
    and 16 is Tim Wheeler from Ash and Emmy The Great
    but as for their tunes... I'm resisting Googling!

    I agree with Alyson, pretty sure the missing answers will be quickly suggested by certain people who've yet to see what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct artists for the last two, C... Though it's not Lloyd at 40. One for Charity Chic that, I think...

      Delete
  27. oooohhh...I might have one:

    17. Marlon sends Saint Nick to where Elvis's snow flies.

    Marlon = Brando = Brown
    St Nick = Santa
    Elvis = In the Ghetto

    James Brown - Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Deano...though not quite the reasoning I used. What is Brando's most famous role?

      Delete
    2. hahaha -well i wont be showing my workings again now will I?

      Godfather of Soul, of course....

      and to think, I coulda been a contender!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  28. 27 I am assuming must be Ryan Adams (definitely no B)

    The song will be Hey Parker, Its Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  29. 23 - is indeed Low with Just Like Christmas
    I don't recall seeing him without his hat but 40 could be Jim White with Christmas Day
    Is 26 Ette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes x 3. I knew I could rely on you for those.

      Not long to go before I reveal all now...

      Delete
    2. The song will be Spending Every Christmas Day with my Boy!

      Delete
  30. OK Rol – you might have heard me say earlier that I suck at cryptic clues, yet it is something that I would one day love to master. The only way I am going to get better is by practice. So, I thought I might actually try my hand at writing a few – and then put them up here for you to try and figure out. Like yours, all have a Christmas theme.

    1/ He’s not old royalty, but he needs a multiple cover for his saw points.

    2/ Mythical festive creature is not Shakin'

    3/ Dick is close to the edge. At Christmas time, he’s under it with the juice of grapes.

    4/ Ill travelling Jobs are locked up this sad festive season.

    5/ Miniature Santa is by the ocean with the lads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrgghh! My head's still killing me from trying to remember MY fifty answers!

      I'm better at setting them than working them out, Deano.

      First two have got me flummoxed.

      3 is Cliff Richards - Mistletoe & Wine

      4 Seasick Steve?

      5 is The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick

      Delete
    2. Hi Rol - nothing wrong with a bit of role reversal every now and then.

      Yes, you got 3,4,5.
      The Seasick Steve song is Xmas Prison Blues.

      In terms of the others.

      1 - Nat King Cole - All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth (I had been trying to go with Old King Cole/Nat King Cole - but in hindsight would have worded it as "almost a merry old soul", multiple = two, a cover = a front, and points on a saw are teeth)

      2/ - Christmas Unicorn - Sufjan Stevens (not Shakin' Stevens)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...