Friday 8 December 2017

My Top 17 Albums Of 2017 #13


Marred by tragedy*, Grandaddy's return** makes discarded tech*** a metaphor for Jason Lytle's divorce. Haunting and weird.


*Founding member & bassist Kevin Garcia died of a stroke, aged only 41, just a few weeks after the album's release.

**Their first album in 11 years.

***A classic Grandaddy theme / trope.

13. Grandaddy - The Last Place
Forget the words, the pictures are nice
And dream of a girl or somebody else’s life
I'm trying a road that’s dead on the end
That’s how it goes, so copy and save and send
(A Brush With The Wild)
I just moved here, and I don’t wanna live here anymore
Countless lovers everywhere, I never know what’s gonna happen
They see me coming for a mile, all the while they were laughing
(I Don't Wanna Live Here Anymore)




Next: Just f-in breathe.


10 comments:

  1. Rediscovered them this year but still to give this one a listen. Must rectify that very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

      (Perhaps I'm running out of inspiration for this game.)

      Delete
  2. Grandaddy's return is a cause for celebration, I need to revisit this. Did I miss Number 14?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's there. Did you miss it? Did you look? Or were you too horrified by it?

      Delete
    2. Accidentally overlooked, though not really a Weezer fan. I will check it out on your recommendation though.

      Delete
  3. Seemingly a short-lived reunion but a most welcome one. Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously admire the way Brian resolutely refuses to play this silly game of 17 word comments.

      Delete
  4. I tentatively await with the arrival of an artist I may be familiar with in this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recounted and edited the number of words several times and still got it wrong - Double doh!

      Delete
    2. Well, you can count. Sentences that make sense... a little trickier. Oh, and don't hold your breath.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...