Sunday 29 October 2017

The Top Ten Records I Bought Because I Fancied The Singer #3: The Vamp

I wanna die with you Wendy on the street tonight
In an everlasting kiss...
You know that girl your mother always warned you about? Well, my mother never warned me about her. I think the reason is that my mum recognised I was hopeless around girls, so why bother wasting her breath? The bad girls weren't going to be interested in me. Neither were the nice girls.Not even the hopeless girls...

The thing is, I wasn't really interested in the bad girls either. Certainly not at school. I found them rather obvious and annoying. So why I ended up fancying Wendy James, I really couldn't tell you. Yet whenever she appeared on Top of the Pops... well, invariably I ended up buying the single.

Just for the music, you understand. Transvision Vamp had some rattling good tunes and were a very underrated band and... and...

OK, mostly it was Wendy.

Which is unusual, because she wasn't my type at all.

I even bought her Elvis Costello-written solo album a couple of years later and thought it an excellent, mature piece of art. No, really I did.

3. Transvision Vamp - Landslide Of Love

My favourite Transvision Vamp single was this one. The guitars in the chorus always reminded me of the theme tune to Red Dwarf.



I had no idea until writing this feature that Wendy James was still releasing records, or that her latest, released just last year featured 50 year old Wendy... erm... sans clothes on the front cover. Disgraceful behaviour from someone of her age of course and I will not be endorsing that sort of filth here. Perhaps when I was a teenager, but I long since gave up any interest in the trappings of smut, thank you very much...

Etc. Etc. Etc.


2 comments:

  1. Speaking as someone whose job at the time was selling records to spotty teenagers, I can assure you that you weren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't just spotty teenagers either.

    I only ever bought one copy of 'The Face'. It was all down to risque photos of WJ being on the cover and inside....

    JC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...