Wednesday 25 October 2017

The Neverending Top Ten #6: Pride


Things have been a bit heavy - some might even say depressing - around here for the past week. You may think I'm about to change the strapline of the blog to "Watch a grown man go through a complete nervous breakdown online while blogging about pop songs". But I'm not, honestly. And to prove it: a short, happy post.

When my son spoke his first words, it was the proudest moment of my life. Not because he said "Mummy" or "Daddy" or even "Poo Poo"... but because his first words were "Spider-Man".

This is a music blog, so I won't bore you with a long post about why the character of Spider-Man means so much to me, other than that Peter Parker has been my hero since I was 4 years old.

However, if we're talking fatherly pride, that first speech balloon has now been joined by another equally awesome memory. The sight of my four year old son eating his Cheerios at the breakfast table while singing...

"Panic on the streets of London,
Panic on the streets of London,
Panic on the streets of London..."

(Don't worry, we'll get to Dublin, Dundee and Humberside in due time.)

6. The Smiths - Panic




Pulp yesterday, The Smiths today... this has almost become a respectable music blog again. Better dig out some Barry Manilow for tomorrow...



10 comments:

  1. That lad of yours has style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "He got it from his old man."

      Bwahaha...

      Delete
  2. They are little sponges at that age - as TS said, brilliant.

    Hope what you say is true - We worry when there are a few too many heavy posts in a row!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop worrying about me, Alyson. It's not your job.

      Delete
    2. Real world friends/virtual friends, it's only natural, and from what I've seen and read you have a very caring little community of followers here. Now all we need is some Barry Manilow!

      Delete
  3. Out of interest, whose big-screen interpretation of Spidey have you most enjoyed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spider-Man 2 (Raimi, Maguire, Molina) is the best film by far. The Raimi films (even the much-maligned 3rd one) have an emotional core no other screen Spidey has been able to touch. Plus they have J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson.

      I liked Andrew Garfield's performance (and Emma Stone's) in the Amazing films, but the films themselves were pretty poor, especially the second one.

      Tom Holland is great. I have high hopes for him. The new film was pretty, pret-tay, pret-tay good (to quote Larry David), but it still has some way to go to beat Raimi 2.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you on the Tobey Maguire films, the best by some margin for me, and for all the reasons you give. Plus Kirsten!

      Plenty of time for Emma Stone in the Garfield films.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant stuff!! Topped off by the correct answer on the Spiderman movies.

    JC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...