Wednesday 12 April 2017

Kenny Wednesday #10 - "I hope you're old enough to understand"



And so we reach the end of My Top Ten Kennies. The final post was set in stone from the start. Indeed, it was Kenny Rogers who inspired this feature in the first place, and with a little suggestion from Brian, we were off. The only question remaining was which Kenny Rogers song was mighty enough to bring Kenny Wednesdays to a close?

Perhaps the most obvious choice would be Ruby, the tragic story of a disabled Korean war veteran whose wife is stepping out on him, something he'd put a stop to... if only he could reach his gun. Based on a true story (although the soldier was a WWII vet who did end up killing his wife), Mel Tillis's song was originally recorded by Johnny Darrell, but it was Kenny who made it famous. HOWEVER, I already gave that one a pretty good showing in My Top Ten Ruby Songs.

My all time favourite Kenny Rogers song is his debut hit from 1968, the anti-LSD, counterculture classic Just Dropped In (To Check What Condition My Condition Was In), as memorably featured in my favourite movie, The Big Lebowski. But I featured that just a couple of weeks back on My Top Ten April Fool's Day Songs.

The Gambler was in contention for a while... I even have a soft spot for the Bee Gees-written Islands In The Stream (with Dolly), although Rob Brydon did his best to steal that from me. In the end though, there was only one choice...


10. Kenny Rogers - Coward of the County

As a kid, I always felt I was, to paraphrase Michael Jackson in one of his many matey chats with Sir Thumbs Aloft, "a lover, not a fighter". There were times when I was bullied, or beaten up, or just picked on by the bigger, harder kids... and in those times, Coward of the County was a great inspiration to me. I know that may sound like the corniest thing I've ever written here, but I honestly believed "you don't have to fight to be a man". Of course, the whole message of CotC is that sometimes you do have to fight... and I always told myself that if anyone ever hurt someone I loved in the way the Gatlin Brothers hurt Becky, then I'd step up like Tommy did and wipe the floor with them.

In reality, of course, I'd probably just have had my head kicked in. Or worse. So it's probably a good job it never happened.





And so Kenny Wednesdays are no more. But don't despair. I've been promising that I knew exactly what would replace this series once we reached ten, and so now it can be revealed...

It's time to get Randy!

Come back next week for the first instalment of Randy Tuesdays. Let's drop the big one... and see what happens.

13 comments:

  1. I was never a Kenny Rogers fan but his voice is perfect for that song. You mentioned Mel Tillis in your piece and if you haven't heard it, check out his duet with Glen Campbell on a song called "Slow Night" - there's a slightly hissy version on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant. Gonna have to track that one down.

      Delete
  2. For some reason Kenny Rogers in general, and this song in particular, remind me of listening to Terry Wogan's radio show in the late 1970's with my old Dad. A happy place.
    So it's Randy Tuesdays next then? I can think of some good 'uns off the top of my head - and a couple of horrors. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Malcolm Mondays can only be mere weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Terry is definitely the one who gave me my love of Kenny.

      I'm sure the horrors will find their way into the ten somehow, Swede. I'll be interested to hear which they are.

      Malcolm will have to join a very long queue and wait his turn.

      Delete
  3. It seems only right and fitting that Kenny Rogers should have the last word(s) on Kenny Wednesdays.
    And I'm very much looking forward to Randy Tuesdays (story of my life...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, this is as close as I get to anything Randy these days...

      Delete
  4. "'n there was three of them" - A great final Kenny post. There is something about his laid back, effortless singing voice that makes me really enjoy everything he does (Ruby being my favourite).

    Liking the sound of Randy Tuesdays already and feel sure my favourite Randy will feature high up on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Wonder which one that will be? Perhaps not the most obvious one?

      Delete
    2. Just had a trawl and only 8 Randys I could write about but will be interesting to see who you include - As for my favourite, I think it will probably be the most obvious one actually but let's see.

      Delete
  5. Kenny was very well done, but it's time to get Randy! Quite excited by the prospect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to argue with Coward of the County although I am a Ruby man myself
    Looking forward to seeing whether Randy Vanwarmer features. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably could argue with Coward of the County. He'd likely just turn the other cheek.

      How could I resist Mr. VW? Though it might not be the most obvious choice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...