Monday 22 July 2013

My Top Ten Summer Clothes Songs


What are you wearing to keep cool in this hot weather?


10. Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes

The Animal Collective are soaking their heads in the sink. Which can't help but remind me of these guys.

9. Ben Kweller - Sundress

Ben takes his girl to all the most glamorous parts of town, just to see her in her sundress.

8. Sonic Youth - Swimsuit Issue

In which Kim takes a summer job as a secretary for a lecherous boss... with hilarious consequences.

7. ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses
Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In her funky fine Levis and her sweater kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molasses
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses
Stalker alert.

See also Sunglasses by Skeeter Davis... or Tracey Ullman. Take your pick.

6. The Wedding Present - Silver Shorts

Wear your silver shorts today and David Gedge won't go away.

5. The Airborne Toxic Event - Girls In Their Summer Dresses

A guilty husband protests that he's not perving over the girls in their summer dresses... and anyway, they were looking at him first!

4. Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
I'm a Peeping Tom Tacky with X-Ray eyes...
They're all at it!

Dig that crazy harmonica.

3. Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
Accept certain inalienable truths: 
Prices will rise, 
Politicians will philander, 
You too will get old, 
And when you do you’ll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders. 

 Respect your elders.
2. Bruce Springsteen - Girls In Their Summer Clothes

If this wasn't one of Bruce's best radio pop records since the heights of Born In The USA, you might be attempted to accuse him of being the bloke in the ATE song. Then you listen to the lyrics and hear an aching melancholic nostalgia... and everything's right with the world.

1. Gene - Long Sleeves For The Summer

Exquisite.
Does you heart sag?



I'm just sitting here waiting for someone to suggest Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini so I can tell them where to go. 

6 comments:

  1. Ah, a number 1 to rival any. But then you'd knew I'd say as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rol, great topic, as yours usually are.

    I don't like that sunscreen song at all..not my cup of tea.

    A couple of other suggestions...how about she wore a...only joking, I read the warning.
    T-Shirt Weather by the Lucksmiths (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1coVIm8iho)

    See Through Dress - Bob Evans, its a cover, but I don't know the original (and this is not the best youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOzckT-nwI)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon there's a whole Top Ten T-Shirt songs in here one day, so I left them out (much as I like the Lucksmiths). Top marks for Bob Evans though.

      Delete
  3. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer the honourable gentleman to my closing remarks. (But at least you didn't suggest Timmy Mallet.)

      Delete
  4. Bollocks. You think of everything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...