Sunday 5 May 2013

My Top Ten Time-Poor Songs


We live in a time-poor time. None of us have enough time (to quote Michael Hutchence) for all that we want to do. I certainly don't have enough time at the moment... and I imagine I'll have even less once I become a father later this year. So let's stop and consider... how very precious our time is.



10. Huey Lewis & The News - We're Not Here for a Long Time (We're Here for a Good Time)

Wise words.

9. Cranberries - Time Is Ticking Out

This could easily have fit into my Top Ten End of the World Songs... or my Top Ten Wizard of Oz Songs (since the video seems to suggest the Yellow Brick Road might have been a side effect of Chernobyl).

8. Clifford T. Ward - Time, the Magician

A couple reminisce on their past and how Time, The Magician, has played a few old tricks on them... as it does on us all.

7. Booker T & The MGs - Time Is Tight

It may only be an instrumental and therefore have nothing more in common with the theme of this Top Ten than its title... but it's still a stone cold classic. 

6. George Michael - Praying For Time

It seems odd to be holding up a song written 20+ years ago by George Flippin' Michael as an apt statement on the world today... but in light of recent political shenanigans, damn this is timely!

5. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with
4. Chris Farlowe - Out of Time

There was once a time the Rolling Stones gave away songs like this for other people to have hits with. 

3. INXS - Not Enough Time

The only band to make it into both my Time and Time-Poor Top Tens. They certainly didn't have enough.

2. Divine Comedy - Timestretched

Just gorgeous. 
There's not enough hours in the day
To say all that I want to say
There's not enough days in the week
And weeks go by quicker than drunks knock back liquor
1. The Beautiful South - A Little Time

One of Paul Heaton's most bittersweet duets, beautifully performed by Dave Hemingway and Brianna Corrigan... the video is priceless.
Funny how quick the milk turns sour, isn't it? Isn't it? 




Do you have time to leave a comment?


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the forthcoming fatherhood and all that, very casually dropped in there, have you mentioned it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not here, and no big announcements. It's all very low key. But thanks.

      Delete
  2. I picked up a hint a post or two ago... really pleased for you, Rol.

    As for the music... once your little one is with you you'll find that, as Culture Club sang, "time won't give you time". But the experience does have other compensations. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Steve. Ah yes, Time (Clock Of The Heart). I never was a Culture Club fan but as I've grown older, my apathy has... erm... continued.

      Delete
  3. Congrats Rol. What's coming will be the hardest, most tiring, most demanding, most difficult thing you will ever do. Fortunately, it will also be the most incredible, joyful, positive and rewarding thing too. I am already looking forward to a fatherhood top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there I was about to suggest Culture Club when I realised Steve beat me to it

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was featured so I clicked as feel as if I am always time-poor. Love the Beautiful Song and specifically this song but was shocked to read George's middle name!? Has your opinion now changed I wonder? Also I can't even remember what the political shenanigans were in 2013 as they have ramped up to a whole new level since then. It's a big old mess out there in the real (non-virtual) world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...