Wednesday 8 May 2013

My Top Ten Diane & Diana Songs


Ten songs you just can't hold a candle (in the wind) to...


10. Paul Anka - Diana
I'm so young and you're so old...
As chat up lines go, Paul, how's that one working for you?

If I were you, I'd stick with, "did you know I wrote My Way?"

9. Everything Everything - Come Alive, Diana

Featuring the phantom head of the late Princess...
Line the streets, Diana, 
With armoured cars, 
Oh column inch, timeless inch 
Can you inch another centimetre closer to hearts and minds? 
You'll win them yet.
Don't ask me. I just play them.

8. Prefab Sprout - Diana
Her eyes china blue saucers, she's born that way
She tastes of apple strudel, you can tell she does
With arms that hold sweet William to her breast
On the other hand, only Paddy McAloon could write an affectionate tribute to the former Queen of Hearts... that I don't hate on principle.
The darling of, the darling of, creation of the editor
I guess that's what, suppose that's what she's for
I hope they're crying in their sleep for promises they cannot keep
For disappointments rooted deep
That's why the boys and girls love Diana
7. Hüsker Dü - Diane

A very creepy song, polished and sanitised into a hit by Therapy?

6. Lily Rae & The Saturday Girls - Diane

As opening lines go, these take some beating...
Diane...
Why do you stay with him?
You never liked him anyway...
The boy's a knob.
5. Fleetwood Mac - Oh, Diane

Surprisingly absent from most Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits albums, yet it was one of their biggest UK hits. Being mostly a Lindsey Buckingham song... perhaps Stevie doesn't like it?

4. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana

I always thought this was about MJ's old Motown mate, Diana Ross. But apparently not.

This, on the other hand...

3. The Concretes - Diana Ross

 The Concretes listen in to Diana Ross till they get a Love Hangover.

2. Vampire Weekend - Diane Young

A new entry, in with a bullet, the first track from the new Vampire Weekend album, sounding as good as the stuff on the first album... and better than anything on the second. Great news all round.

1. John Cougar-Mellencamp - Jack & Diane

A little ditty that became one of the greatest rock songs of the 80s. And there's so much innuendo and philosophy in the lyrics, you'd think Jarvis Cocker wrote it. 
Oh yeah, live goes on... long after the thrill of living is gone.




Which one would you Di for?

9 comments:

  1. John Cougar every time... though that guitar refrain makes me think of Tracey Chapman and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Producers - What She Does To Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm dating a hot coug named diana" should be a song

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH GOD NO, NOT THE PAUL ANKA SONG! I was tortured throughout my childhood by dint of having been named after said song. And fuck "Dirty Diana" because my peers thrived on using that song to torture me some more when I was a little girl. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about ''Diane" from the 1927 movie 7th Heaven???

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a song that some guy sang and he sounded like Elvis.
    Probably back in the 50s or 60s it was called Diana or it had the name in it. Any idea who the guy was? Anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking for the title of a song that had Diane in it. It went, "Her name was Diane, and the woman that she was was......" Not sure of other lyrics. Can anyone help me here?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...