Friday 16 November 2012

My Top Ten Surrender Songs


That's it - I give up!


10. JJ72 - Surrender

JJ72: should have been bigger.

9. Bread - Sweet Surrender

Really, if you were expecting Wet Wet Wet, you really don't know me very well at all. Still, same title - much better song... and no grinning Tony Blairalike frontman. That's got to be a bonus.

8. Less Than Jake - Surrender

Apparently this is a cover of an old Cheap Trick song, but as I've never heard the original and can't pretend to know anything about Cheap Trick, you're stuck with the rather nice LTJ version.

7. Diana Ross - Surrender

Written by Ashford & Simpson. I was such a huge Diana Ross fan as a kid, I really should have been gay.

6. Swing Out Sister - Surrender

Because the 80s will live forever... on this blog at least.

5. Elvis Presley - Surrender

Another Elvis hit by the legendary songwriting duo of Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, though the melody is based on an old Neapolitan ballad, Come Back To Sorrento. (Or so wikipedia claims.) Still, 5 million copies sold - that's some going.

4. Rainbow - I Surrender


Let's ROCK. Man, lead singer (at the time - Rainbow had about 6 at one point or another) Joe Lynn Turner had one serious haircut. I wonder if his dad ever told him how much he looked like a girl?

3. The Jam - Beat Surrender

Bullshit is bullshit
It just goes by different names

2. Bruce Springsteen - No Surrender

Who didn't learn more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school?

1. Justin Currie - No, Surrender

Adding a simple comma turns Bruce's defiant roar into a hopeless epic of resigned misanthropy. Justin hates on everyone and everything in this touching 8 minute rant... so much moaning, it takes TWO youtube videos to do it justice. It's like Nothing Ever Happened turned up to 11.

Should you stand and fight 
Should you die for what you think is right 
So your useless contribution will be remembered? 
If you're asking me I say no, surrender. 




Those were the records I'm surrendering too... but which one gets you waving your white flag?

9 comments:

  1. This is because I've brought Bloggertropolis back, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, for that, I'm compiling my Top Ten NOOOOOOOO Songs. (Only kidding.)

      Delete
  2. Steve...you have? ROL..he'll do anything for cheap publicity..

    Anyway, with a title like that surely there should have been a French song or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SLF - No Surrender ..
    'I believe in hopes and dreams, I believe in life
    I don't believe in hate and greed, tyranny or spite'.

    So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously need to stiffen my fingers.

      Delete
  4. "Surrender your love baby, Surrender your love": It's a girl thing no doubt! : "give it to me, give it to me....oowwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

    oh, The Jam is pretty ok too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, calm down, luv - no need to get excited! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just about to go on with a diatribe about how you could possibly have a surrender list without including Cheap Trick's Surrender, until I re-read your post and realised it was there, in a form...

    cut me some slack, I have a lot of catching up to do, and probably skimming the posts quicker than I should have..

    what else can I say but ...."Mummy's allright, Daddy's allright, they just seem a little weird"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...