Monday 15 October 2012

My Top Ten Frank Songs


Planning a Top Ten Frankenstein songs for Halloween, I was amazed to see how many great records there were about people called Frank. In fact, I could easily have filled a Top 20. The Monster will have to wait...


10. The Give It Ups - Let's Be Frank

A cool little indie pop song of the sort you didn't think they made anymore. Download it free and legal from the bandcamp link above.

(In case you're wondering, The Give It Ups narrowly beat The Monochrome Set onto this chart. It was an extremely close call.)

9. Longpigs - The Frank Sonata

It's a shame that the Longpigs are mostly remembered these days as "the band Richard Hawley played guitar in". They deserve far more recognition. Although god knows what's going on in this rather X-rated promo...

8. Cake - Frank Sinatra

You can't go wrong with a nice slice of Cake... in tribute to the greatest Frank ever?

And while we're on that subject...

7. Suzanne Vega - Frank & Ava
It's not enough to be in love.
6. Morrissey - Our Frank

In which it appears Morrissey has cut himself while shaving his eyebrows. These things happen.
Oh give us a drink
And make it quick
Or else I'm gonna be sick all over
Your frankly vulgar red pullover
See also Frankly, Mr. Shankly, of course.

5. Sister Sledge - Frankie

Few records take me back to 1985 like this one.

Do you remember me?

4. Simon & Garfunkel - So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright

Thanks to the kind person who posted this on youtube, I've just discovered the "true" (?) story behind this song. Apparently it was Paul Simon's farewell to Art Garfunkel (himself an architecture major at university).
So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
All of the night we've harmonised till dawn
I've never laughed so long
3. The Lemonheads - Frank Mills

Another Brooklyn resident, this Frank was in consideration for that Top Ten too. A cover, it turns out, of a song from the musical Hair.
He has golden chains on his leather jacket,
and on the back, are written the names Mary and Mom and Hell's Angels.
I would gratefully appreciate it if you see him,
tell him
I am in the park with my girlfriend,
and please tell him Angela and I
don't want the two dollars back, just him.
2. Bruce Springsteen - Highway Patrolman

In any other Top Ten, Bruce's tragic tale of two brothers on opposite sides of the law (one of whom is called Frank) would have been number one. See also Frankie.

1. Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

My favourite Tom Waits "song". If you've never heard it before, please take 1 minute 48 seconds to discover why Tom Waits is one of the best storytellers in the music industry...




Let's be Frank... what's your favourite Frank song?

6 comments:

  1. Frankly, there's nothing better than S&G...although I too never understood its relevance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, don't believe the internet - it might be bollocks!

      Delete
  2. After Frankie I went from loving Sister Sledge to hating them in one fell swoop. Frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite S&G songs, one of my favourite Lemonheads songs and a great Tom Waits moment. No room for (We Are) The Frank and Walters by, well, The Frank and Walters...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afraid not... although it might make an appearance on another Top Ten I was planning. (Yes, my Top Ten Walter Songs!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...